Monday 1 August 2016

Ginger is having her kitten.

Ginger


Sunday morning, the cats were still dozing in their soft and warm beds. The birds were singing loudly to inform us of this new bright and sunny day. We all listened to them but decided to slumber on, the cats purring and I with my latté on the sofa.
A few hours later everything changed. Most cats were in their garden checking their territory and practicing their hunting skills. Ginger conspicuous behaviour drew my attention: she was meowing and following me.
At first I thought she just needed my special attention: hugs and kisses. But she was very nervous and restless and suddenly it occurred to me : her kitten was coming.
I put myself into absolute panic. There is a time when panic is an appropriate response, now is not that time. So I called Ivan to do the job, Ginger needed someone to reassure her. This is her first litter and she was overwhelmed by the process in her body. It sometimes takes a whole day before a kitten is born.


We have prepared the kitten room for Ginger, with several options, but Ginger chose a cat tree! There’s a bed on top of the tree, but Ginger preferred something else; cramped and unhygienic.




That filled me with horror, so I had to compose myself and Ivan took over. We used a children’s playpen and cotton underlays.It is important that the material is soft and washable. I always use two underlays and pile them on top of one another. When it is necessary I can refresh Gingers bed easily by removing one.I also use water absorbent underlays when possible. We cover the playpen to create a dim atmosphere.



Meanwhile Ivan very carefully unscrewed the upperpart of the cat tree, and brought Ginger in her box to the kitten room and put her in the playpen. As soon as Ginger got out inspecting the room, we removed her box. 
That can be challenging because this was not what Ginger had chosen. Ivan kept trying to distract her and helped her to relax. Fortunately nosy Sammy came to have a look what was going on and Ginger immediately welcomed him full heartily. Sammy chose the playpen to relax in, so Ginger joined him.
When Sammy did not appreciate the intimacy anymore, he climbed up the big cat tree. He was still keeping an eye on Ginger of course, because he was the man in the room. He had to watch over Ginger and his big friend Ivan helped him.

If you like to follow Gingers story, have a look on my face book:

                          Airashii Bengals





No comments:

Post a Comment